👷 Bret Comnes
email: firstname.lastname@example.org • web: bret.io/contact • current location: Portland, OR
Operations: bash, systemd, Ansible, containers (Docker/rkt), clusters (kubernetes/slurm), Linux, Unix Philosophy, macOS, homebrew, Arch Linux, Debian, CentOS, Container Linux, Arm Servers, autotools, ubiquiti hardware/software/vyatta routers
Haddington Dynamics Development Consultant • 2017 - Present • 🤖
- Remote software engineering consulting for MIT connected robotics and automation project.
- Developing next generation structured documentation software for Cardiac Surgeons and Hospitals.
- API and microservice design + implementation.
- Cross Platform Desktop software using Electron, HTML, CSS and SVG powered by React + Redux.
- Modular development using github, npm and continuous delivery using travisCI.
Jaguar Land Rover R&D Software Engineer • 2015 - 2016
- Rapid mobile app and infotainment prototype development using JS + Node.js, HTML and CSS.
- Developed a custom single sign-on service and documentation server for internal documents and projects, and managed its monitoring and deployment process.
- Participate and run user testing sessions, and incorporate findings into development planning.
Urban Airship Technical Support Engineer • April 2015 - July 2015
- Support Urban Airships customers ranging from mobile developers to marketers.
- Custom mailing software for sending personalized emails to customers in Node.js.
PSU Office of Information Technology ARC Web & Systems Developer • 2014 - 2015 • 🏛
- Web applications and systems programming with Python and Django.
- Implemented and designed a Github style email correspondence bridge for ARCs ticketing system.
- Implemented user tracking and notification system for ARC’s research systems.
- Developed custom database monitoring tools that tracked MySQL and Postgres usage metrics.
PSU Office of Information Technology ARC Systems Administrator • 2013 - 2015 • 🏛
- Responsible for building, automating and monitoring PSU’s research servers and Linux Clusters.
- Initiated efforts to automate cluster deployment and management using configuration management.
- Launched a successful user support documentation website to orient new users on the available research systems.
- Trained and introduced new users to ARCs resources and shared unix computing environments.
PSU Sánchez Nano Development Lab Research Assistant • 2013 - 2015
- Wrote custom control software and a web application that enabled remote viewing and operation of a Scanning Electron Microscope over the Internet using React, Web Sockets and WebRTC.
PSU Physics Department Lab Instructor & TA • 2012 - 2014
- Instructed PSU’s General Physics Labs and assisted in the upper division Experimental Physics Labs.
- Developed two novel labs on the use of micro-controllers and FPGAs covering basic concepts to advanced topics like PID control theory.
Cardinal TS Textbook Development Consultant • 2012
- Provided conceptual content and calculus interpretation for other members of the development team.
HSU Gravitational Research Laboratory Research Assistant • 2009 - 2011 • 🛰
- Designed and machined custom experimental instruments and developed the lab’s data collection, automation and analysis software to study the gravitational inverse-square law at sub-millimeter distance scales.
The Arecibo Radio Telescope ALFA Survey Research Assistant • 2009 • 📡
- Trained and operated one of the worlds largest radio telescopes and analyzed the collected data searching for previously undiscovered galaxies.
- B.S. Physics 2011 Humboldt State University
- M.S. Applied Physics 2015, Portland State University (Incomplete)
- PDX Node, Organizer Meetup (2015 - Present)
- Code for Portland, Organizer & Volunteer Open Civic Data Initiative (2014 - 2015)
- 🔬 “Remote Operation of a Scanning Electron Microscope using WebRTC”, WebRTC Camp Conference (2013)